September 16, 2006

First post. Exciting, no?

So I created this blog for two reasons.
Reason No. 1: I love to force my musical taste and interests on everyone else. Um, I mean...I love the opportunity to, uh...share...music...with other like-minded people?
Reason No. 2: I need yet another pointless activity to distract myself from the barrage of homework and college applications that is currently taking over my life.
Anyway, this is where I'll be posting mixes I've made (like this entry), or a song I've recently been obsessed with, or where I'll just write about a new album I've heard or a concert I've been to. Basically, this is going to be a place for me to express all my music-dorkiness without having to force it on other people who just really don't care. And, if you like it, you can steal lots of music from me. Sound good? Okay. Onto the real stuff.

Earlier today I finished up a new and revised version of my old "Beautiful Voices" mix. Maybe 'beautiful' is the wrong word, but I don't know...this is a mix of all the voices that make my stomach feel squishy; that make me smile whenever I hear them sing. I have another hour-long playlist of all the songs that were cut from the mix, which accounts for the lack of Dylan, Beck, Damien Rice, etc. These are just all the voices that seem especially...well, especially special.
Oh, and there are also a lot of covers, because...well, I like covers, and pretty much any mix I make has a bunch of them on it. So deal with it, bitches.


Beautiful Voices.

1. Elliott Smith - "Trouble" (Cat Stevens)
2. Janis Joplin - "Summertime" (I have no idea who did the original of this, it's been covered so many times)
3. Lou Reed - "Walk On The Wild Side"
4. Cat Power - "I Found A Reason"
5. M. Ward - "Let's Dance" (David Bowie)
6. Mirah - "Monument"
7. Sufjan Stevens - "John Wayne Gacy, Jr."
8. Feist - "Secret Heart"
9. Devendra Banhart - "This Beard Is For Siobhan"
10. Joanna Newsom - "Inflammatory Writ"
11. Death Cab For Cutie - "I Will Follow You Into The Dark"
12. Regina Spektor - "Samson"
13. Bright Eyes - "Lua"
14. Be Your Own Pet - "Ouch"
15. Jeff Buckey - "Hallelujah" (Leonard Cohen)
16. Rilo Kiley - "More Adventurous"
17. The Decemberists - "Bridges & Balloons" (Joanna Newsom)
18. Emily Haines & the Soft Skeleton - "The Maid Needs A Maid"
19. Ted Leo & the Pharmacists - "Counting Down The Hours"
20. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Cheated Hearts"


And I also just have to post this song because I've been listening to it over and over and over and over for the past couple days. Blasting it in my car, from my headphones in the darkroom, walking to class, in my bed...seriously, everywhere, I've been listening to this song. It's just wonderfully gorgeous. I mean, pretty much everything the man does is wonderful and gorgeous (um, and also himself), but...yeah.

Sufjan Stevens-"The Mistress Witch from McClure (or, The Mind That Knows Itself)"

No comments: